Jones Day is committed to diversity and to the development and advancement of all of our lawyers, including our LGBTQ+ lawyers. The Firm has a significant number of openly LGBTQ+ associates and partners across all practice groups and in offices spanning from San Diego to Pittsburgh and from London to Sydney.
Jones Day is a longstanding national sponsor of Lambda Legal, a national advocacy organization that represents LGBTQ+ individuals in a variety of legal matters that promote civil rights. Jones Day also sponsors the National LGBT Bar Association and has actively participated in the bar association’s national conference for the last 10 years.
In addition to supporting various advocacy organizations, the Firm proudly supports the many Firmwide and local initiatives spearheaded by Jones Day partners and associates around the globe. We encourage involvement in these initiatives by all members of the Firm, including those who identify as LGBTQ+ as well as allies.
Firm LGBTQ+ Affinity Group and Contacts
Jones Day established the LGBTQ+ Affinity Group to coordinate these efforts across all offices. To encourage Firmwide participation in Jones Days’ LGBTQ+ initiatives, Jones Day holds quarterly LGBTQ+ Affinity Group calls where LGBTQ+ attorneys and allies are invited to discuss activities, LGBTQ+ issues, and business development events in their local office or region.
The LGBTQ+ Affinity Group is co-chaired by partners Maureen Bennett
(Boston), Jeremy Gray
(Chicago) and Matt Evans
(London) and has global participation. If you have questions about the LGBTQ+ Affinity Group, the Firm’s LGBTQ+ initiatives or would like to speak to LGBTQ+ leads in a particular Jones Day office, please contact Maureen, Jeremy, or Matt.
In addition to the Firm’s sponsorship of Lambda Legal and the National LGBT Bar Association, Jones Day and our lawyers remain committed to contributing to our local LGBTQ+ communities in meaningful ways around the globe:
Awards and Recognitions
- Jones Day lawyers from multiple U.S. offices, led by Los Angeles partner Rasha Gerges Shields, assist gay and lesbian immigrants seeking asylum in the U.S. based on persecution they faced in their home countries because of their sexual orientation.
- The New York Office is corporate governance pro bono counsel to, and a supporter of, the Ali Forney Center, New York’s leading provider of services to homeless LGBTQ+ youth.
- Boston partner Maureen Bennett recently presented at a legal symposium on key issues facing Northern Ireland, including marriage equality. The symposium was hosted by the Inns of Court, Royal Court of Justice in Belfast, Northern Ireland.
- San Diego Intellectual Property associate Douglas Clark serves on the Board of Directors for the Tom Homann Law Association (the LGBTQ+ bar association in San Diego).
- The Atlanta Office is a sponsor of the Atlanta Stonewall Bar Association and several Jones Day lawyers currently serve on Stonewall’s Board of Directors.
- The London Office hosts events for the Interlaw Diversity Forum and supports P3: "Proud. Professional. Parents." P3 provides a forum and support network for parents who are LGBTQ+. Jones Day helped formally establish the organization and continues to support its mission and goals.
- The Munich Office participates in the LGBTQ+ Roundtable of the German Business Law Firms, an initiative that organizes legal support and charity events to raise awareness and fight the discrimination and persecution of LGBTQ+ individuals.
- The Washington Office has partnered with the Anti-Defamation League to represent victims of hate crimes in civil actions, including members of the LGBTQ+ community affected by crimes based on the victim’s sexual orientation or gender identity.
- Jones Day offices around the globe participate annually in LGBTQ+ Pride celebrations in their home cities. Each year Jones Day lawyers, staff, clients and family members march in Pride parades, host events, and sponsor local organizations supporting the LGBTQ+ community.
Jones Day and our lawyers have been recognized for commitment to the LGBTQ+ community:
Same-Sex Relationship Guide
- Jones Day partners Brian McDonald (San Francisco) and Ben Mizer (Washington) are among the Firm’s recipients of the National LGBT Bar Association’s "Best LGBT Lawyers Under 40" award.
- The Firm received the 2015 Chambers Diversity Award as well as the ABA 2015 Pro Publico Award, in part, for our commitment to the Same-Sex Relationship Guide (below).
- Jones Day partners Colleen Laduzinski (NLG Practice Group leader, New York) was invited to deliver remarks at the United Nations during an official event celebrating former Secretary-General Ban Ki-Moon’s dedication to diversity.
In 2015, Jones Day launched its Same-Sex Relationship Guide to comprehensively survey and track changes in the laws governing the legal recognition of same-sex relationships around the world. The site – available for use without charge – summarizes the status of legal recognition of same-sex relationships in all United Nations recognized countries worldwide, including relevant sub-jurisdictions, such as each of the United States.
Visit the full guide at: http://www.samesexrelationshipguide.com/
The creation and maintenance of the Guide represents one of Jones Day’s largest pro bono undertakings more than 200 attorneys and summer associates have worked on the project. Jones Day has a long history of, and commitment to, pro bono work, public service, and community involvement. To learn more about the Firm's commitment to pro bono work, please visit the Jones Day Pro Bono website