Jones Day’s Outreach Efforts Flow from Our Commitment to Diversity & Inclusion We are committed to making meaningful progress on diversity in the legal profession, to increasing diversity awareness within the Firm, and to recruiting, retaining, and promoting the best attorneys and law students from all backgrounds.
Jones Day’s Diverse Recruiting Team Jones Day develops strong recruiting teams composed of male and female partners and associates who themselves represent diverse backgrounds in terms of race, ethnicity, age, law school alma maters, geographic origin, and practice areas. Office recruiting committees are similarly composed. Recruiter Training includes information concerning the Firm’s diversity priorities and initiatives and best practices for conducting interviews that focus on candidates’ merits and avoid judgments based on biases.
We Value Engagement with Law School Affinity Groups and Diverse Students Jones Day contributes to affinity groups at law schools across the country. These contributions include lawyer participation on panels, hosting of receptions, sponsorship of regional conferences, symposia and publications, participation in mock interview programs, service as moot court or mock trial judges, and recruitment at job fairs. Through these efforts we have supported student organizations composed of disabled, LGBT, female, African American, Asian, and Hispanic/Latino students.
We Welcome Outreach from Law Student Organizations Here is a sampling of some of the law student organizations/events we have supported during the last and current academic year:
- NBLSA Charles Hamilton Houston Chapter Presidents Leadership Summit
- University of Texas School of Law Diversity Weekend
- University of Pennsylvania BLSA Sadie Alexander Commemorative Conference
- Harvard Lambda Legal Advocacy Conference
- All DC Area Law Schools Diversity Networking Event
- UCLA Law Firm Diversity Reception
- University of Michigan “Meet the Employers” Diversity Program
- University of Virginia, DC Diversity Road Show Panel
- Catholic University of America, Admitted Students Diversity Reception
- Benjamin Cardozo School of Law LGBT Career Fair
- Cleveland-Marshall College of Law BLSA Awards Banquet
- Southern Methodist University School of Law BLSA Awards Dinner
- USC Latino Law Students Association
- Berkeley Law-Asian American Law Journal Dinner
- University of Pennsylvania APALSA Conference and Dinner
- University of Michigan Annual Symposium of the Journal of Gender & Law
- OSU Moritz Admitted Students Diversity Reception
Women and Minorities in our Summer Classes and New Lawyers Group Consistently over the last several years women have made up approximately one half of both our summer associate program and our New Lawyers Group. Over the same time period diverse law students/lawyers have made up approximately one-quarter of our summer associate program and our New Lawyers Group.
Participation by Minority and Female Associates in the Life of the Firm At Jones Day, there is a conscious effort to learn the perspective of all associates, including minority and female associates who serve on the Summer Associates Committee, as mentors to new lawyers, on the Recruiting Committee and on ad hoc committees that fulfill a broader community service purpose. In addition, they participate in focus groups providing feedback to the Firm as it develops new programs, website material, and training.
Sponsorships Jones Day recognizes the importance of providing support to organizations dedicated to achieving diversity in the profession. To that end, the Firm supports a number of regional and national diversity organizations and is currently a national sponsor of:
- Lambda Legal, the oldest LGBT civil rights organization in the country.
- The National Association of Women Lawyers, the oldest and largest organization for women lawyers in the country.
- Council on Legal Education Opportunity, the oldest pipeline building organization in the country dedicated to supporting the academic success of minority students interested in a career in the legal profession.
Diversity Education Jones Day recognizes the importance of ongoing learning about diversity and to that end, lawyers and staff have attended
programs such as:
- ABA Conference on Employment of Lawyers with Disabilities
- NALP Diversity Summit
- MCCA’s Creating Pathways to Diversity Conference
- Project on Attorney Retention Program
- Chart Your Own Course
- Corporate Counsel Women of Color Conference
- North American South Asian Bar Association Conference
- The National Association of Women Lawyers Annual Conference
- Ark Group Conference on “Advancing, Retaining & Recognizing the LGBT Lawyers of Your Firm”